Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Lines - part I: the elegant string theory...11 years on!


Take a piece of string, dip it in paint and away...
















On Saturday I worked for 8 hours with two other engaging and inspiring people ... see the next post Lines -Part II. When it was all over I took out the camera and went through what I'd done that day,

Then I grabbed the concertina book I'd created during the painting course I was doing at Victoria Uni in 2,000 when still living in Melbourne and in a really stressful phase of trying to balance things so I could continue painting. In that way that life sometimes does... when you cant work out a solution to a dilemma with your mind then enter a drama that gets you moving.. for me a housefire saw me pack up and move interstate. So... what was going on in the pages of this concertina book that was quiet exciting and felt it could be pushed in lot of directions was quickly abandoned and only one or twice since have I worked with this material and ideas to any degree of application as on this saturday.

Things Imbi talked about re relocation shifting your work was very relevant for me in 2,000. The house fire left me with a huge need to put domestic needs before art for a time... and I stopped working in this loose style as below for the next years on the whole.




I guess I could try and photograph the whole book.. it needs a long room to open out fully.



the materials used were paint and mixed media, 
fabric, string and collage of various papers and fabric








 I recently realised I realy liked some of the pages and it got me thinking about why i had I continued to leave these ideas untouched. I guess things surfaced and I have not completely failed to reference this work... it was great to really get into it on Saturday.




















The following post gives a glimpse of picking up with some early string ideas as do the works at the top of this post from saturday. Why the elegant string theory? 

I saw a show on this concept from New Science around 2003 and it just spoke to me... intuitively I guess there is some link between my string drawings and the idea of multiple dimensions of reality. Certainly at the time I was working with string my life was a series of clashing realities and something had to be resolved.... and quick!
Far better when one is able to ride the waves of change with some sense of  rhythm.

More to think on here!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
Blogging for me is an extension of keeping a journal which I have done in various forms over the decades. The difference being this is not a closed book! I like that it offers an opportunity to explore that which concerns me as an artist and as an individual about living and participating in this vastly complex, unquestionably exciting yet unnerving time in human history. Through the blog I hope to increase the possibilties for cross-pollination which I believe can strengthen the sense of being part of something both personal and universal that is vital, expansive and refreshing.