Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fool's Day .... in the studio


Up late tonight ...  its been quite a day!

Found my camera was seriously not working any longer so went to buy a new camera and took along the old one... girl in store: "well yes... this camera has been dropped". To myself I pondered just how many times - I hate to think!
Home again and working on something that has been seemingly never-ending! Here's a close-up section of a large painting: 150 x 150 cm that I actually began just after Xmas. After the best part of a week painting I'd taken off south for a few days... and returned to discover the city of Brisbane was about to be deluged.
Im extremely fortunate to live in an area on a hill and consequently we were not personally affected. Given the floods in Queensland extended over December and January with a Cyclone late in january it was extraordinary to not have been caught up... so may were and it was harrowing seeing the plight of many. Its the first of April and many still don't have their homes to go to.


sophie munns: close-up section of painting “seeds… stories across time”
close up section of work
My lovely Paddington Studio I had to say good-bye to in February when the owner was made a very good offer from aspiring tenants seeking a large space to run their film business. Its was a fabulous  space that had been an inspiring opportunity in which to spend the later half of 2010 completing the work of the Botanic Gardens Residency...  which curiously did not come with a studio/work space.

A residency without a residence is hard to describe and not to be advised! So Helena ... you were a godsend, a true patron ... and Im grateful for that magical 6 months after you swept in with the most brilliant offer of space to go for it! 

And being the Cancerian I am ... returning to my home studio ...while its definitely small ... is very homely ... there's no commuting, late nights are very doable, the computer and books are handy, garden... really... it was a chaotic changeover (who likes moving?)... but I always knew I would adore getting my late night painting sessions going again! 
And the timing for getting things set up for the new year was perfect ... a huge clean up and unpacked heaps of books that have been packed away for 3 years.

One such book was a much loved version of an original work by Flinders Petrie titled 'Decorative Patterns of the Ancient World'. I've thought often of this book but didn't know which box is was stored in... so it took a quiet January to begin the search!


Decorative Patterns of the Ancient World Flinders Petrie
from Introduction 


Petrie

Given the trivialising the 'decorative' and 'patterns' often draw in serious art realms - certainly a few decades back at Art School one did not admit to such interests - its worth noting the career of the Flinders Petrie and recognising the sites where he discoverd these "patterns" and such symbolic material. Huge treasure to be found pursuing this direction I can tell you!


trio of rabbits


three hares - pottery fragment egypt or syria.
Read more on these images here.





sophie munns: close-up section of painting ‘seeds … stories across time’
close up section of recent art work



Art work 150 x 150 cm... working title: "seeds... stories across time"


sophie munns … this painting (150 x 150 cm) has been pre-occupying me for days…and days… and still its not finished. Working title “seeds … stories across time”. 
What is this thing that compels one in strange directions… not for me (at this time anyway) the large, loose canvases and brushy strokes… oh no…I have to stop in every small intimate place and bring something into being and layer it over what is there, then take some away, add somthing else… bring in a new colour or tone… add, subtract… compose… remember, think some more, and more again! Its a kind of story telling… only …. who knows the stories?
 and talking a photo of it…found my camera had been dropped and no longer worked… went to buy a new camera… oh! batteries need to be fired up… borrowed a camera…not very good photos tonight …inside…night-time… not good lighting…  what a strange process its been…. oh well!
See at Tumblr.
I actually posted this at my tumblr blog a little earlier with this note:

sophie munns … "this painting (150 x 150 cm) has been pre-occupying me for days…and days… and still its not finished. Working title “seeds … stories across time”. 
What is this thing that compels one in strange directions… not for me (at this time anyway) the large, loose canvases and brushy strokes… oh no…I have to stop in every small intimate place and bring something into being and layer it over what is there, then take some away, add somthing else… bring in a new colour or tone… add, subtract… compose… remember, think some more, and more again! Its a kind of story telling… only …. who knows the stories?
 and talking a photo of it…found my camera had been dropped and no longer worked… went to buy a new camera… oh! batteries need to be fired up… borrowed a camera…not very good photos tonight …inside…night-time… not good lighting…  what a strange process its been…. oh well!"


The day has been indeed peculiar... each thing I attempted to do I had to find another way around... Just after midnight some good news came though ... I've become a great aunt for the second time...  little Patrick has been born... I think on April Fool's Day ... to the delight of the waiting clan!

Very late now...must say goodnight!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
Blogging for me is an extension of keeping a journal which I have done in various forms over the decades. The difference being this is not a closed book! I like that it offers an opportunity to explore that which concerns me as an artist and as an individual about living and participating in this vastly complex, unquestionably exciting yet unnerving time in human history. Through the blog I hope to increase the possibilties for cross-pollination which I believe can strengthen the sense of being part of something both personal and universal that is vital, expansive and refreshing.