Monday, July 30, 2012

Reflecting on the May IMB Residency


Taking photos of one's work and seeing they are channelled to the appropriate places is quite time consuming. I just updated the website and revisited this post of IMB Dna drawings. I have yet to photograph some large DNA artworks painted for the May 18th event celebrating the International Fascination of Plants Day at the Institute for Molecular Bioscience here at UQ in Brisbane.

This was one of the paintings completed in that 3 week period...  titled 'Cotyledon Patterning' it was somewhat playful and happily soon found an owner. 



'Cotyledon Patterning' 
90 cm square, acrylic on linen collaged on canvas


This is a digital artwork that used imagery found whilst at the IMB.
The Arabipdopsis cotyledon was such a striking form.


This collage format below is via Pic Monkey, a simple to use, free photo platform shared with readers by lovely blogger Lesley of Printed Material. I liked the collage format she used for her gorgeous garden photos ... and on a whim visited Pic Monkey and found it as easy to use as suggested.



I took a great many photos at the IMB... some were worked into digital images, others journal drawings and paintings.



The plant photographed here is the commonly used Arabidopsis ... the white mice of the Plant Lab world. It so intrigued me all the seemingly endless coding and maths that this little plant could generate.

It was an invaluable and truly enriching experience doing this residency. I gained such an appreciation for the work behind the research, particularly the high level of collaboration and discipline that comes with the peer revue process. It is a model that could well serve other professions and walks of life... the studious yet collaborative element certainly and the standard of quiet, disciplined striving.     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
Blogging for me is an extension of keeping a journal which I have done in various forms over the decades. The difference being this is not a closed book! I like that it offers an opportunity to explore that which concerns me as an artist and as an individual about living and participating in this vastly complex, unquestionably exciting yet unnerving time in human history. Through the blog I hope to increase the possibilties for cross-pollination which I believe can strengthen the sense of being part of something both personal and universal that is vital, expansive and refreshing.