Monday, October 1, 2012

Working on the verandah...

'
One thing I expected during this Cairns Residency was rather hot weather and the likelihood of too many mosquitos to want to work outside. This weekend brought a light drizzle of rain in the mornings but setting up on the back verandah has been the perfect space with the big table, overhead fans and mozi-coils burning!


                       A watercolour book Ive been working in... using the lino-print materials.

'

My preference is often to work in journals till ready to work larger... especially when working with new materials or ideas.





A small square motif!



A new work below on unstretched linen.


Referencing an earlier work.


Using the lino pod-form to create the structure was an interesting approach.


It was a beautiful afternoon with just the radio for company.


I like this blue for a change of palette.



This piece is approx 140cm x 80 cm.




I'm reluctant to add more at this point although its more minimal than originally intended. I like the textural aspect of working with the lino on this linen.


The edge of the unframed work is stitched with a brown linen thread. It will be pinned to the wall for exhibiting!

I have a week of pretty intense painting in front of me now. Ive settled into a good working routine after two weeks. I had to learn not to push it and to be very open to what direction emerged.

Bye for now,
Sophie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
Blogging for me is an extension of keeping a journal which I have done in various forms over the decades. The difference being this is not a closed book! I like that it offers an opportunity to explore that which concerns me as an artist and as an individual about living and participating in this vastly complex, unquestionably exciting yet unnerving time in human history. Through the blog I hope to increase the possibilties for cross-pollination which I believe can strengthen the sense of being part of something both personal and universal that is vital, expansive and refreshing.