Wednesday, August 31, 2011

musing on blue and brown...




'the perennial conversation', 45 cm x 45 cm sq, 
acrylic and ink on paper, fabric and canvas


Posting quickly tonight... its was so satisfying to complete a series of works this past week that had been on my mind for some time. Loading this here just now I found myself thinking about the colours blue and brown and how important they've been in my work for a while. Bit of an earth and sky thing. A few times this year I've heard people speak very eloquently about soil ... the imagery really caught my imagination. Sky and blue for me refer to space and time... a perennial interest is the ancient and what lingers today from down the centuries.


My favourite Sennelier inks come in a box of 4 ... or five? Must be five... two blues. two browns and a black have resulted in many a work that lingers on my mind.... 

close up using sennelier inks on ink


Love what these inks have allowed me to achieve... they are so rich, really have depth yet are very fluid... even when they dry there's that liquid quality!




image from 4 years ago... on paper ... looking at the colours
I was toying with in this quirky composition




a section of a work on paper ... from 4 years ago... using
sennelier inks... interesting how I prefer the other blue now
... a more prussian blue... earthier.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
Blogging for me is an extension of keeping a journal which I have done in various forms over the decades. The difference being this is not a closed book! I like that it offers an opportunity to explore that which concerns me as an artist and as an individual about living and participating in this vastly complex, unquestionably exciting yet unnerving time in human history. Through the blog I hope to increase the possibilties for cross-pollination which I believe can strengthen the sense of being part of something both personal and universal that is vital, expansive and refreshing.